Zahir's Reviews > The Tigress of Forlì: Renaissance Italy's Most Courageous and Notorious Countess, Caterina Riario Sforza de Medici

The Tigress of Forlì by Elizabeth Lev

M 50x66
Jul 31, 2012

Read from May 29 to June 15, 2012

The Tigress of Forli is probably one of the most fascinating biographies that I have come across in a very long time. I first heard of Caterina Sforza from watching The Borgias on showtime, then randomly came across this book at the library.

The life of Caterina is beyond fascinating. One thing that honestly bores me is when a biographer engages in plain old hero worship, and talks about the subject with a sense of veneration apart from humanity. Lev sometimes wanders into that territory, but overall, still remains honest. Lev does go into Caterina's screw-ups as well as her triumphs, and overall, does a very good job of letting us into the world of Renaissance Italy, and why Caterina was such an unbelievably unique person in her world.

For anyone interested in renaissance history, this book is a fascinating account of what the world of high powered politics was like in the 15th century. We are introduced to a cast of characters that reads more like an entertaining novel than a historical biography.

Caterina was a bad ass chick well worth reading about. Lev does a good job of making clear how bad ass Caterina was, but just how human she was as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tigress of Forlì.