Ron's Reviews > True Colors

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, science-fiction, star-wars
Recommended to Ron by: Wendell Andrea
Read in September, 2008

Much better. Karen Traviss redeemed herself—and the Republic Commando series—with True Colors.

Characterization and plot were realistic and engaging. More threats; more consequences. Not surprisingly, Traviss captured the women's point of view, but she also seemed to grasp battlefield bonding. She took us into the minds of many characters: seeing themselves as outsiders and everyone else as "in", seeing their doubts, experiencing their angst.

Her weaknesses are "on the nose" writing and repetition. Traviss spells out what the reader should already have picked up, then she tells us what we're to think of each development, then—often—she repeats herself. For example, on the last two pages of the book, she tells us four times how thoroughly Mandalorian Omega team is compared to Delta. Three times too many.

People shouldn't treat other people (especially clones) as things. We got it. She didn't have to beat us over the head with it. Without the repetition the book could have been ten to twenty per cent shorter and that much better.

6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Colors.

04/11 marked as: read