Tiffany's Reviews > An Altar in the World: A Geography of Faith

An Altar in the World by Barbara Brown Taylor

May 29, 13

bookshelves: favorites, books-that-changed-my-thinking, own, spirit
Read from October 01, 2012 to February 17, 2013 — I own a copy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Altar in the World.

Quotes Tiffany Liked

Barbara Brown Taylor
“People encounter God under shady oak trees, on riverbanks, at the tops of mountains, and in long stretches of barren wilderness. God shows up in whirlwinds, starry skies, burning bushes, and perfect strangers. When people want to know more about God, the son of God tells them to pay attention to the lilies of the field and the birds of the air, to women kneading bread and workers lining up for their pay. Whoever wrote this stuff believed that people could learn as much about the ways of God from paying attention to the world as they could from paying attention to scripture. What is true is what happens, even if what happens is not always right. People can learn as much about the ways of God from business deals gone bad or sparrows falling to the ground as they can from reciting the books of the Bible in order. They can learn as much from a love affair or a wildflower as they can from knowing the Ten Commandments by heart.”
Barbara Brown Taylor, An Altar in the World: A Geography of Faith

Barbara Brown Taylor
“I am not in charge of this House, and never will be. I have no say about who is in and who is out. I do not get to make the rules. Like Job, I was nowhere when God laid the foundations of the earth. I cannot bind the chains of the Pleiades or loose the cords of Orion. I do not even know when the mountain goats give birth, much less the ordinances of the heavens. I am a guest here, charged with serving other guests—even those who present themselves as my enemies. I am allowed to resist them, but as long as I trust in one God who made us all, I cannot act as if they are no kin to me. There is only one House. Human beings will either learn to live in it together or we will not survive to hear its sigh of relief when our numbered days are done.”
Barbara Brown Taylor, An Altar in the World: A Geography of Faith