Edwin Arnaudin's Reviews > The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter

The Way We Eat by Peter Singer

Jul 14, 12

Read in May, 2012

It seemed right to follow up The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals with one by Peter Singer, an author who's prominently mentioned in Pollan's text. Training wheels off, Singer and Jim Mason take a more hard-hitting approach to the food industry, which makes for a more informative yet less warm reading (or, in my case, listening) experience.

The authors examine three families (one omnivore, one organic/locavore, and one vegan), following them to supermarkets and into their kitchens and dining rooms, and present their eating choices in an even-handed manner. By tracing various purchases back to their respective origins, Singer and Mason paint a clear picture of modern food production, many aspects of which are not for those with weak stomachs.

There's the usual rundown of abused animals, genetically modified produce, and rampant mislabeling. Instead of inserting themselves into the narrative, a la Pollan, Singer and Mason let their expertly-written fact-finding speak for itself, further amplified by the ominous tone of narrator Rick Adamson. The latter's after-school special on steroids style makes for a compelling listen and, as with The Omnivore's Dilemma, both solidified my thinking on what I eat and challenged me to be even more critical in my food choices. The Way We Eat didn't quite have the experiential charm and fellow outsider intrigue of Pollan's brilliant work, but seeing as its authors have a few more decades in the field, hand-holding is not part of their message...and that's OK.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way We Eat.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne on a food kick, eh? This isn't Peter Singer the philosopher who talks a lot about animal ethics, is it? Have you read Eating Animals? Another interesting lens.

Edwin Arnaudin Yeah, we're thinking more critically about our food these days.

It's the same Peter Singer. I've not read his other works.

Sarah has Eating Animals on deck in her reading basket. We were unable to find it locally on audio, so she's resorting to the print version. Something about interesting non-fiction on audio that gives it that extra *umph*.