Steve's Reviews > WWW: Wonder

2000920
Jun 19, 12

bookshelves: good-books
Read from May 29 to June 19, 2012

Great book and trilogy! I enjoyed the higher degree of politics and espionage in the third book, as governments felt threatened by the arising power and intelligence. Again, a great mention of Tim Berners-Lee at the end of the book.

WM as a kind and benevolent overseer, in an almost personal god-like role, was interesting to delve into. Humans seem to have a need for a greater power to help cope with life---someone who "knows" what is so, and is willing to lend some comfort and understanding. WM fit that role even better than "God", IMO, because he could IM and text and email, and share links and stuff.

I also liked the notion of the arrow of increasing morality over time. I think it's true. The broader our field of awareness of others, to the point of them not being considered Other, but rather "me" from another perspective, the broader our desire for kindness and peace.

This is my second Sawyer trilogy (first was the Neanderthal Parallax). I enjoyed both, immensely. I also read "Calculating God" and enjoyed it. I seem to be fan. I even subscribed to his FB page.

Now I have to figure out which of his other books to read next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read WWW.

05/29/2012 page 44