Sarah's Reviews > Fitzwilliam Darcy, Rock Star

Fitzwilliam Darcy, Rock Star by Heather Lynn Rigaud

May 29, 12

Read in May, 2012

There is something so satisfying about a guity-pleasure read that makes them delightfully enjoyable. And this book, if nothing else, is a great guilty-pleasure read. Hot men, smart women, rock and roll - and of course, Happily Ever After.

So of course, we're not talking about high literature or sweeping drama. This is a modern Pride and Prejudice with rock stars. Only, the rock stars and their "legendary" hijinks are pretty much nowhere to be found. The cover says "Sex, Drugs and Rock 'n Roll" but it should really say "Sex, More Sex, Allusions to Rock 'n Roll and then more Sex." It would be more honest, and probably wouldn't lose any of its audience.

The thing that makes this book so darn good is that it's just so much FUN. The author has such an enthusiastic writing style and you're 100 pages into the book before you realize it. Are the sentences elegant and beautiful? No, not really. Are the characters multi-faceted and complex? Erm, no.

And while the author certainly doesn't have the tin ear for dialogue that others struggle with, if you really stop to READ the dialogue - especially once the "romance" starts - you'll notice a particular "fromage" appearing in your pages. However, I will freely admit that I was about 30 pages from the end of the book before I had to stop and ask myself, "Man, this dialogue is cheesy. Has is ALWAYS been like that?" And then I had to go back to previous chapters, whereupon I realized: "Yes, it has always been cheesy."
And you know what?
I just didn't care. I immediately dove back into the finale and sighed when it was over.

Rigaud does a good job of pulling in characters from the original, without standing rigidly by the original plot. Some characters get exactly what you know they would, some get their comeuppance and others make out much better than they did in the original - thank you, modern sensibilities!

If you like Austen sequel or reimaginings or modern reinventions, you'll probably like this.
Keep in mind, though, that my current five-star rating is a comparison of this Austen "sequel" to other Austen sequels, and should be taken with a rather sizeable grain of salt. I would never want to draw direct comparison between this and the original author's actual canon.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fitzwilliam Darcy, Rock Star.