Marsha's Reviews > Black Lament

1991207
Nov 07, 12

Recommended for: Adults
Read from November 04 to 07, 2012, read count: Once

Someone, please explain to me what has happened to this series? It started out so promising: but, now it has turned into a convoluted mess. With each consecutive book, layers after layers of new myths are piled on to an already rich mythological world. Initially, we have the worlds of the agents of death, fathered by Lucifer, protected by a gargoyle, fallen angels, werewolves, attacked by faeries, vampires etc. Enough already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In this installment, Maddy finds she is pregnant with the child from her recently killed husband, Gabriel. As she grieves she is continually under attack by every faction of mythological creatures and societies including her own agency. She is on a vengeance quest to killed Azazel, the demon Lord responsible for Gabriel's death. Azazel has plans of his own and the agency wants Maddy to stand down. As stubborn as she is, she will not bow to the wishes of anyone of anything. This leads her into the land of the faeries as well as the fallen angels.

If truth be told, the only thing that made this a tolerable read for me was the character of Beazle. The annoying and ravenous gargoyle added a sense of comic relief amongst the convoluted plot. At times, I was no sure if I even wanted to finish this book; but, then again, I felt compelled to do so. I enjoyed the characters of J.B. and Nathaniel and wanted to see just where the conclusion was heading. Sadly, I am even more confused at this point as to whether or not I will be reading any more books in this series.

I truly wished Ms. Henry had stayed with the original plot and not ventured off into so many different areas of mythology. It did not add a new layer of intrigue but rather a layer of irritation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Lament.

11/04/2012 page 30