Carol Ann's Reviews > A Killing in the Hills

A Killing in the Hills by Julia Keller

Jun 13, 12

Read from May 29 to June 10, 2012

With nonfiction pieces of such gravitas, I really was expecting better from Keller. The book was okay, it was reasonably written. The editing really needs to be tightened.

I did enjoy the basic premise of the stories (there are two running concurrently). In fact I was more interested in the case of Albie Sheets than the main story line. I still felt the writing was slack and a bit predictable. I felt there were no surprises. And again, the pacing would certainly benefit from a heavier editing hand.

Obviously this "first book" sets us up for the further adventures of Bell Elkins and her crack team. Not to mention her daughter, and her ex-husband. You can be sure we'll be seeing the red headed plumber she meets at the end of this book prominently featured in the next Bell Elkins novel. I was disappointed: the story is there, the set ups are there, but the pacing was off for me. And, I admit, Bell's backstory was a little contrived.

It was just okay for me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Killing in the Hills.