Jon's Reviews > My Brilliant Career

Sep 26, 08

bookshelves: australian-lit, classics
Read in September, 2008, read count: 1

Australian Lit Classic:

resembles an exponentially more mature version of "Are you there god, its me margaret" with the focus on anguish about life goals and the role of women in early 1900's Australia instead of 'do my peers except me' in dear god, me margaret. Draws together important historical elements mixed with historical myths; interesting and difficult to separate the 2, the study of which can be alluminating to early 1900's culture and history. Also clever critique of the sexism towards women, and an annoying protoganist who only gets more annoying as the text progresses; however, her internal dialogue is complex and intriguing to try and decipher at times; other times just annoying; she drones on and on sometimes. Tons that you can do to analyze her psychologically. written by 19 year old girl during the early 1900's; significant because of sexism at the time, a wonder it was published.
side note: Australia was the first country to allow women suffrage (or so my professor said)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Brilliant Career.