April Hochstrasser's Reviews > Getting Away with Murder: The True Story of the Emmett Till Case

Getting Away with Murder by Chris Crowe

May 29, 12

Read in May, 2012

A short book (128 pages) with pictures. This is a biography of a young black boy back in the 1950s before the Civil Rights movement had started. It placed the story in the midst of economic and social mores. It tells about how Emmett was brutally murdered by two White men for violating the Jim Crow laws by talking to a White woman. It also tells about the trial, acquital, and people's reactions. It was because of the pictures that were published in news papers and magazines nationally that the Civil Right Movement started when it did.

It was well-developed and informational. I liked the emotional appeal and the realistic way the events in Emmett Till's life were taken at that time. The pictures of his mother seemed a little strange, because she seemed to be smiling most of the time after her baby had been murdered. What's up with that. Maybe her grief face just looks like a smile? I think Emmett Till is one person who influenced our country greatly. It was surpristing that I had never heard about Emmett Till, only Rosa Parks. But her story was in part based on the Emmett Till reaction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting Away with Murder.