pinkgal's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Jul 22, 07

bookshelves: magic_fairytale-esque

It was September 1998; the third Harry Potter book had just been released. Pottermania? What's that? It was still unknown except to a vast population of younglings who'd read it... and I fell in love. Oh, how I fell in love. I fell in love with the poor, starved-for-affection, later known to be a twit Harry. I fell in love with the pretentious know-it-all Hermione. I fell in love with the awkward, grew-up-in-his-brother's-shadows Ron... and most of all? I fell in love with the snarky, unplatable, snarling, rude, hygienically-disinclined professor of potions, Severus Snape.

Almost ten years later, I'm still obsessed with it in many ways.

This is the Seventh Book. This is the end of Harry Potter. I cried, I wept, I laughed, sometimes quite hysterically. And overall? I loved it. I loved Ron's humour, Harry's angst, Hermione's smarts, Snape's devotion, Dumbledore's love, Percy's return, Dobby's sacrifice, the change of Kreacher, absolutely everything. I kept waiting and waiting to be disappointed and yes, I was disappointed on the occasion, but the thrill far outweighed the flaws.

As for Snape? One of the characters I fell absolutely in love with? THIS IS A HUGE SPOILER.

Snape...

...

Snape dies. He dies working for Dumbledore. He dies, looking into Harry's eyes. He dies because for the last thirty years of his life, he has loved Lily Evans and everything he has done and everything he sacrificed was for her. His death provoked a number of emotions in me and one of the major ones was utter, utter grief. He's been abused and used his whole life, whether by his parents, by his classmates, by Voldemort, by Dumbledore, and I felt such freaking anger that in the end, he wasn't even given the proper funeral that he totally deserved. In the book itself, it made sense, because whatever Snape did for the Greater Good, he was still a bastard. But as a reader, my heart broke into ittybitty pieces over him.

There were tons of other things going on at the same time. I say, Rowling is an excellent action scene writer. I'm terrible at writing action that's vivid and engaging, but she managed to do it.

Harry himself lives. But he's been forever scarred by his experience. And that, actually, is one of the best parts of his book. He was such an arse in books 5 and 6, and to have this mature young man emerge was one of the greatest joys in this series. I was so, so, so happy that he got the happiness he wanted. The ending was much WTF? for me, since it was like a SOOPER HAPPILY EVER AFTER ending, but at the same time... Harry is finally happy and that means a great deal to me.

Well. Harry, I've been a fan for almost ten years and in those ten years, you've made me laugh, cry, scream, whoop, run around, obsess, tender, hard, awesome and about a million other things. I've watched you grow from a scared, unsure first year into a hopeful young man in the third and fourth, an angsty teen in the fifth and sixth, and in the seventh? You came full circle and you were as your parents were. Happy, with children of your own. You changed so much and it felt like I had grown up partly with you, though I was but fourteen years old when I read you.

I love all of the characters, I love all the books, and well?

R.I.P. Severus Snape. You'll be missed. Same with you, Fred, Dobby, Lupin, Tonks, Moody, Colin, Scrimgoeur, Bellatrix, Peter, yes, even Voldemort. A lifetime has passed and HP is going to be one of those books that'll stay with me forever.

So... peace out, Harry! You deserve out!
91 likes · Likeflag

Kathryn **SPOILER WARNING**
Yes, absolutely, Snape and his years of secret devotion to Lily and his sacrifice to Dumbledore - SO FREAKING TRAGIC! Just the quiet interchange when he shows Dumbledore his patronus and Dumbledore says "Still?" and Snape says "Always..." broke my heart. But I was even more disturbed by the offhanded way in which Lupin and Tonks were disposed of...Lupin is another of my favorite characters and we didn't even get to see his final stand. None of this wrecks the book for me, though; it's still amazing.

pinkgal That was one of the things that threw me off too; Lupin and Tonks had seemed like such favorite characters (I'm fairly sure Rowling must have known that they were incredibly popular) and to have them die with Harry glancing over the hallways. It was... anticlimatic, to say the least. But sometimes I think that actually worked. There was a battle going on, it was the brink of who was going to live and who was going to die. I kept thinking that maybe that was what it was supposed to be about? And that not everyone gets a grand death scene?

Tracey i'm currently re-reading Deathly Hallows, and "The Prince's Tale" is the one chapter that i keep going back to. i had a suspicion that Snape liked Lily (from "Snape's Worst Memory" in an earlier book), but i was blown away by the depth of his devotion, and by the real reason why the incident after the OWLs was his worst memory...it's where he lost all possibility of being with his greatest love. there's something very *deep* about the way this chapter was written, and i think it easily goes down as the best chapter in the book.

while i didn't feel that DH had the same easy flow as some of the earlier books (SS and OP in particular), i definitely enjoyed the book. i'm not looking forward to returning my copy to the library...but the waiting list is a mile long, so i can't be greedy...

message 4: by Ginger (new) - added it

Ginger Bowling pinkgal-
you are so right on about snape. i kept arguing with my son that snape was "good" b/c dumbledore trusted him. i too was heartbroken to see the tale unfold, and to see his patronus was that of lily...how tragic and how beautiful :0)

Jarrad Finally read it.
There were times when the story felt lost, but I can see that was intended. "The Prince's Tale" chapter and the chapter just after it, were worth reading the whole series for. I had to put the book down for about 30 minutes and just absorb life before I could continue.

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley you know what threw me off the most? Is when serious died...I felt harry's pain. In a time when he needed the support and love of a godfather, he was tragically let down. I kinda saw it coming for Dumbledore, but serious??? seriously?? & snape?? I hated and loved him to death at the same time. I really couldn't stand to see him go. It kills me! JkR did such a beautiful job at creating each character. I envy her talent!

Emmarr I completely agree! It was such an amazing book, and I hope the films don't ruin it.
I think the only bit that annoyed me was when Ron faked parsletongue to get into the chamber of secrets cos in CoS it was all 'only the heir can get in' and all that.

Verenice Just want to point out that the third book was actually released in September of 1999 (or July of 1999 for the UK).

Susan Let me just say I love the Harry potter series and all 7 books that come with it but come on the review was a bit on the dramatic side.

message 10: by Clare (new)

Clare Oh, very great reflection! As a somewhat insane Snape fan myself, I fell to pieces during the Deathly Hallows. When he died, I was very VERY tempted to throw the book across the room. I am very disappointed, though, that Snape barely got any time during the middle chapters, besides a mention that he became Headmaster.

I liked Snape so much because he was so horrible to Harry. Most of the other characters were undeniably cardboard, including Ron, whose only fault is an understandable lack of magical capability; Hermione, who could be a Mary Sue if for her arrogance; Harry, who is seen as the little malnourished boy with a great destiny; Dumbledore, who is mysterious but very loving. They have almost no character flaws. Snape, on the other hand...he instantly appealed to me because while dark, cold, and bat-like, he's the most human character in the books. He gets mad at Harry. He says hurtful things for no reason at all. He even always manages to put himself in a bad light in every single year. But above all - he's human, we'd be hypocrites to blame him. So GO SEVERUS!

-catchingfire

message 11: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy Basmaji damn it you got me crying again! I LOVE YOU SEVERUS SNAPE, FOREVER AND ALWAYS <3

message 12: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine Ranoco i love bellatrix lastrange even if she's crazy she's cool!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 13: by Ciara *I love Harry Potter!* (last edited Jul 14, 2011 07:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ciara *I love Harry Potter!* I agree. I cant believe that the Harry Potters are over. :( And the final movie is being released too!)
I couldnt believe it when Snape died! I will also miss Dobby, Dumbeldore,Sirius, Fred, Hedwig, Tonks, Lupin, Madeye and (lol) Georges ear!
I was also shocked to see that Molly Weasly battled Bellatrix! GO MOLLY! I think that Bellatrix is cool too. Im so sad that Harry Potter is ending! I love HP 4ever!!!

Raichu33 Love Luna love good!

The Optimistic Writer I totally agree!

Juliette I wasent born when the 3rd book came out but I was born just when the first movie came out.

(2001 Rocks)

Amrin Tasnim I cried even by reading ur review..

Charlotte Winnen I love your review!

Catbug Pottermania is a website for the really big fans.