Jane's Reviews > New Leather

New Leather by Debra Varva

1901583
Apr 01, 14

bookshelves: bdsm, m-m

2.5 Overall, it was a nice, simply plotted story from an author with some promise, and a sweet romance, but I had issues with the lack of editing and the overall feel.

As others have mentioned, the incorrect use of 'Dominate' when the correct word is 'Dominant' jarred, but there were quite a few basic errors of punctuation/typos that should've been caught and an insecure grasp on tense that made sections read oddly. The head hopping was confusing to say the least. I'm fine with alternate chapters in each character's head, but here the POV swapped back and forth every few paragraphs which is just not easy on the reader. Scenes ended and new ones began without any break in the text leaving me paging back, lost.

The dialogue was stilted too; there were very few contractions used. People just don't talk like that! The characters didn't feel real because of it, just pieces on a board moving toward a predetermined finish.

The secondary characters felt far more alive and interesting, oddly enough, as if the author relaxed with them and let them have their say.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New Leather.