Bryan Kibbe's Reviews > One-Dimensional Man: Studies in the Ideology of Advanced Industrial Society

One-Dimensional Man by Herbert Marcuse

2017984
May 29, 2012

liked it
Read in May, 2012

Of course, this is a classic in modern cultural and political critique, and is worth reading irrespective of what I say. Nonetheless, I found it to be interesting and provocative. I especially enjoyed the first section of the book (One Dimensional Society) for its example of a kind of interpretation of modern industrial society and the nature of contemporary technology, but found the second section (One Dimensional Thought) to be convoluted and its meaning obscured. However, I did find Marcuse's thoughts on the nature of and task of philosophy in the last portion of that section to be especially valuable. I was hoping for more in section 3 (The Chance of Alternatives). This section was interesting, but many thoughts lacked the follow through needed for a more complete exploration (in particular, I am thinking about the Marcuse's tantalizing suggestion that art offers a corrective to malevolent technological impulses).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One-Dimensional Man.