Joey's Reviews > Eisenhower in War and Peace

Eisenhower in War and Peace by Jean Edward Smith

Sep 02, 12

Read from August 05 to 31, 2012

If Smith had billed this book as a political and military history of WWII and the 1950s, It would have been three or four stars. But a biography, in my view, ought to get inside the subject's head, and readers should come away with a relatively intimate understanding of the subject. Smith doesn't offer much insight into Eisenhower the man. We know he worked really hard, stepped out on his wife while commanding the war in Europe, and smoked a lot. We also know that he had superb political instincts, governed fairly and firmly, and accepted responsibility for his decisions. Smith seems aware of the fact that his biography of Eisenhower sheds little light on the man. In the book's final paragraph, Smith quotes Eisenhower's wife as speculating that she wasn't sure that anyone ever really knew Dwight Eisenhower. After 600 some odd pages, readers certainly don't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eisenhower in War and Peace.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Preston I was just about to add this to my to-read list, but then I read your review. Do you recommend another Eisenhower biography? Maybe the one by Stephen Ambrose?

Joey Preston wrote: "I was just about to add this to my to-read list, but then I read your review. Do you recommend another Eisenhower biography? Maybe the one by Stephen Ambrose?"

Nah I think this one's probably sufficient. It's just not stellar. After reading this one, I doubt that any biographer could really provide the kind of insights to Eisenhower that I typically like from a biography. Dwight was just sort of a closed book. Anyhow, in retrospect, I suppose a penetrating look into Eisenhower's soul wouldn't be as interesting as learning about all the world events he took part in. Basically, this is a pretty sweet history of 1940s and 1950s. Just not much in the way of getting us acquainted with Dwight.