Eric Williams's Reviews > Legacy Forgotten

Legacy Forgotten by Nicole Hill

Jun 03, 12

Read from May 29 to June 03, 2012

Legacy Forgotten by Nicole Hill
This book was imaginative, fun, and suspenseful. In the book we meet Ailis, a confident young woman who works for the Miami Police. She seems normal at first, but there are family secrets, oh yeah and there's a love struck vampire hanging around outside her house.

I really liked this story by indie author Nicole Hill-- I'm not usually a fan of vampire stories, but I found this one to be engaging and rich in historical mythos--more than your average dreamy eyed bite 'em & suck 'em saga. Her vampire is a sexy beast named Kenneth (okay, that's a strange name for a vampire) and he is very old, although his inner voice is quite youthful. It turns out that Kenneth has an ancient connection to Ailis's family, one that is revealed by the author very slowly. Ailis's character is presented as independent, self reliant and hot as heck, a nice combination for a heroine.

Without giving too much away, sparks begin to fly when vamp meets vampire and age old secrets begin to surface. This one kept me turning pages until the end.

I gave it four stars because there were a few typo and homonym usage problems which could have been caught by a good copy editor. Like Ms Hill, I sometimes have usage issues with "to" and "too," but she is such a good writer, these bumps are easily overlooked. Also, on the topic of minor bumps, it should be noted that the narrator switches from past to present tense inexplicably a couple of times, but over the course of the book, these shifts are barely noticeable. Minor quibbles aside, her narrator is a positive force in the story, possessing a snarky kind of limited omniscience. She effortlessly changes point of view as we move from one character to another. The narrator's voice is so strong and humorous that at times, she is almost like another character in the story. In Chapter one she says of Ailis:
"Her grandfather used to own the whole island when he and her grandmother came to Miami from Spain a long ass time ago."

My advice, even if you're not a vampire fan, read this book to experience Ms Hill's sparkling intelligence and enthusiasm --and to catch her narrator's zippy one liners.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legacy Forgotten.

06/03/2012