Annabel Joseph's Reviews > Never Dare a Duke

Never Dare a Duke by Gayle Callen

May 29, 12

bookshelves: historical
Read in May, 2012 — I own a copy

As I was reading this book, I knew I would come to Goodreads and find many poor reviews. This book is very...simple. There was a nice subplot about ghost hunting that attracted me, but the actual main story that the romance is propped on is pretty weak and unbelievable.

With that said, I am one who reads for the romance and the emotion in a story, and I don't care how boring/unlikely/improbable a plot line is--if I like the characters and the setting I'll like the book. In fact, I sometimes feel like too much plot gets in the way of good romance. Some of the books I like most are the most simple tales, and that's what ended up happening here. I liked the heroine because she was just straightforward. No silly brassiness and sassiness, but not too retiring either. I liked the hero because he's tall, dark, and handsome and had his sexy moments. Did he have a lot of depth? Hell no, he didn't, but he charmed me enough to keep me invested in his life.

What I really liked about this book is that I'm really into house parties from that era and I thought the author framed all that up in an entertaining way. I also thought the various ways she got the hero and heroine together alone were creative and yummy. There were a couple that I actually reread because they were so delicious to me as far as setting the scene, the sensory interaction, etc. Back in this day, it was very thrilling and dangerous for an unmarried man and woman to have these moments of privacy and she really got that excitement across to me as a reader.

That's all I need to love a book. So the plot and characters are kind of one note... In the end of it I was okay with it, because I'd rather have too little plot in my romance novels than too much plot.

If you are someone who reads romance for the intricate plots, SKIP THIS ONE. If you just want some regency era cotton candy with a sexy duke and a some really sweet forbidden courtship wrangling, this would be a fun book to get lost in for a day or two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Dare a Duke.