Callie's Reviews > Arcadia

Jun 14, 12

bookshelves: audio, 2012
Read from May 29 to June 11, 2012

On audio!

...gold dust is sprinkled on memories, so that they shine..."

Arcadia is the story of Bit, who grows up on a commune in upstate New York. The story begins when Bit (who is so called because he is very little, the "littlest bit of a hippie") is just 4 years old, living in a bread truck with his parents in "Ersatz Arcadia", the group of tents, lean-to's, vans, and other temporary houses that house the commune until the mansion on the land, Arcadia house, is restored. The story follows Bit through childhood in Arcadia, to when the commune is disbanded, to the present day and beyond.

I loved how Lauren Groff portrayed Bit's parents and the other members (excuse me, Free People) of Arcadia- there's no mocking tone, no irony. While their lives are completely different from how "normal people" lived, in a lot of ways things were similar- marital tensions, group politics, and personality differences still exist for this group, and this makes them relate-able.

My one issue with the book was SPOILER ALERT how the timeline went to an almost dystopic future, where a global pandemic closes the cities and global warming has wiped out the coastal regions. At that point, I almost stopped, because it felt like the author was inserting herself and her message so blatantly into the book. I'm glad I stuck with it, because while those crises framed the atmosphere and the environment, the story stayed small and in the last quarter or so, quite heartbreaking.

I listened to the audio version of the book, and the narration was fine- nothing incredible, but not terrible either.

Overall, I gave this book 4 stars, rounded up from the 3.75 I would have given it if able.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arcadia.