Karolina's Reviews > Covet

Covet by J.R. Ward

Aug 11, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal, biker-hotties
Read from August 06 to 11, 2012

I really didn't know what to expect from Covet. All my GR friends know BDB is one of my favorites series and I always admired Ward's creative writing. There are some ideas in the book that are really great and could have been fantastic, have they been better explored. But there are too many things I had a problem with to outweigh the good stuff. That's why I think the BDB series is so successful, there are so many great concepts in the series that you easily get past any issues on the way. With Fallen Angels that's not the case. At least not with the first book.

At the beginning I only got interested in Jim's story all the others not so much. Marie-Terese is the character I just could not warm up to. In Lover Avenged I thought her to be a strong woman who has to do what she has to do. In Covet however she comes as whiny and a bit annoying. She has been through a lot of difficulties in her life, the fact that she chose prostitution to deal with her financial problems did not make me feel sorry for her at all. It only showed she wanted a quick way out of her debts and she was willing to sell herself to do that. Also she was in no way trapped by the situation, she had an offer of help from a good man with no strings attached yet she chose not to take it. And Vin with his 'you did best in the situation you had', sorry but her situation was not one where prostitution was best, and I expected him to be a little bit more conflicted about her past rather that forgive her on the spot and fall in love with her like it's a fairy tale. Not very realistic. Too much of a Pretty Woman fantasy.

I think the whole idea of Heaven and Hell battling in the shadows of the real world and seven deadly sins concept were great. I just wish the story was more polished and some of the issues solved (like more information on Jim and other angles, the speed of Vin's and Marie-Terese romance-3 days! really? and Vin's immediate change of character, what's up with that?) If it wasn't written by Ward I wouldn't be so disappointed. She has set the standards high with BDB series and unfortunately Covet haven't met them.

There were parts I did enjoy and as I was told Crave and Envy are much better I will go on to read them. While it's not a BDB, Fallen Angels looks like a series with potential.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Covet.

08/07/2012 page 78
16.0% "I didn't think I would enjoy it this much so early in the story. But what's up with the BDB cameos?" 4 comments
08/08/2012 page 219
46.0% "Divine assistance via television messaging! LOL And when did Vin got a personality transplant?" 4 comments
08/09/2012 page 301