Nami's Reviews > Herzog

Herzog by Saul Bellow

Oct 07, 08

Read in October, 2008

It's nice when you read something that pretty much can take place at any time without losing its strength. 1900, 1960, 2000 whatever. I worried about sanity and insanity and death and life but now I feel pretty much okay with where I've landed and this book had something to do with that, too. Even though I'm not fiction, male, in my 40's, twice divorced, or a Jew.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Herzog.

Quotes Nami Liked

Saul Bellow
“I fall upon the thorns of life, I bleed. And then? I fall upon the thorns of life, I bleed. And what next? I get laid, I take a short holiday, but very soon after I fall upon those same thorns with gratification in pain, or suffering in joy - who knows what the mixture is! What good, what lasting good is there in me? Is there nothing else between birth and death but what I can get out of this perversity - only a favorable balance of disorderly emotions? No freedom? Only impulses? And what about all the good I have in my heart - does it mean anything? Is it simply a joke? A false hope that makes a man feel the illusion of worth? And so he goes on with his struggles. But this good is no phony. I know it isn't. I swear it.”
Saul Bellow, Herzog