Patrick M's Reviews > Pathfinder

Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card

M_50x66
May 29, 12

Pathfinder is the intriguing tale of a 13 year old boy named Rigg who possesses the power to see paths from the past and interact with them as well. Rigg has been trained his entire life by his father or the “Wandering Man” to be something Rigg is completely unsure of. He is taught many languages, how to interact with other people in different cultures and make him an overall cunning and witty individual. Unfortunately, his father is killed while they collected furs deep in the forest by a falling tree. Rigg is now left with many questions and practically no answers. If things weren’t bad enough already, Rigg’s friend Umbo loses his younger brother to an accident that occurred at the falls of Fall Ford and the accident is linked to Rigg’s path ability. Now Rigg must travel to places unknown to figure out what his father planned for him and his gift with his pal Umbo. Fall Ford is a very different place from the rest of the world but Rigg is determined to succeed himself for his father’s sake and unlock the secrets that were kept from him after all these years.
Overall, this book was an interesting but a very long read. I really enjoyed watching the characters interact with each other and especially how they reacted to Rigg’s intelligence for his young age. Each character was very distinct from one another and their voices were clear; however they seemed to be a bit jumbled at times when they book goes into an info dumping phase. For example, when the science of time traveling was being explained, my head was throbbing with exhaustion to understand but I did find it extremely fascinating. If you’re into sci-fi novels and don’t mind taking the time to read such a long novel, then I recommend to this book to you. Again, this book will take a very long time to read and I had to crunch my time to finish it for this semester. Do not read this as a side book because, like stated many times, it will take a long time! Pacing was all over the place because the characters would need to stop at times and explain things to one another in huge amounts. It’s interesting to watch this world develop but it can be a very slow drag. In conclusion, Orson Scott Card writes yet another intriguing novel with fun characters and a plot that might just make your brain spin. In addition, if you’ve read Ender’s Game, also by this author, then this book will also fit into your liking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pathfinder.