Sheree's Reviews > Fifty Shades Freed

Fifty Shades Freed by E.L. James

Jun 14, 12

bookshelves: erotica, romance, own, read-in-2012, reviews
Read from May 29 to 31, 2012

I read the Fifty Shades books separately but decided to review them together for expediency and in attempt to keep it non-spoilerish. I'm giving the series a hot damn 5 stars overall.

From: Teddyree

Subject: Appreciation

Date: June 6 2012

To: Christian Grey & Anastasia Steele

Dear Mr Grey and Ms Steele

Are blindfolds, spanking and restraints the new flowers and chocolates??

My heightened libido would like to say an appreciative thank you for the experience in your new and *cough* fascinating world.

Thank you seems so ... inadequate when so many words come to mind.
Delicious, kinky, enlightening, embarrassing, passionate, addictive, salacious, emotional, sensual, set-the-sheets-on-fire HOT.

Ana can I tell you how much I appreciated your descriptions regarding the delectable Mr Grey, I applaud your negotiating skills, your sense of humour and adventure but I have to tell you even my palm was twitchy with your persistent use of holy crap. Surely a literature student is in possession of a more extensive vocabulary?

Your internal monologue had me in giggles but I confess to hoping (on the odd occasion) that your inner goddess would strangle you into submission. *snigger*

The email communication between the two of you cracked me up, sweet, funny relief to offset your tumultuous relationship and the emotional whiplash.

Mr Grey, you would have to be one of the most complex, mercurial, desirable, infuriating, controlling, smug, intense, hot, sexy, vulnerable men I've read about. Definitely 50 shades of messed up! I was profoundly sad for your damaged little boy and overjoyed to watch you grow, play, trust and love.

Thank you Mr Grey for introducing me to some beautiful classic music, this is one I loved, (40 part motet - Spem in Alium by Thomas Tallis) it gave me goosebumps which had nothing to do with the fact that it was playing in the "Red Room of Pain."

I relished reading about your dark desires, hence my unladylike haste moving from one book to the next. But as much as I'd love to continue extolling praise and enthusiasm I will have to leave it there. I have a pressing need to find some fluffy handcuffs ;)

Teddyree CEO The Eclectic Reader, Appreciative Voyeur

Random Thoughts:
Ok it's not the best writing but I wasn't reading this series for its literary merit. The compelling, sensual, erotic, dark, emotional nature of this story had me overlooking many editorial annoyances.

As you get to know Christian you understand the reason behind his lifestyle choices, his determination to maintain control and cope with his traumatic past. There's no science basis linking BDSM lifestyle choice to past abuse but I found the psychological aspects really fascinating.

Contracts, rules, soft and hard limits, safe words, HOT sex but there's so much more to this series than lashings of erotic sex. For me this was at heart a romance, with a side of kink but for a relative newbie to the genre like me it was plenty good enough to turn me into warmed honey. There's tender moments too; chasing the sun, Ana cutting Christian's hair and trying not to get spoilerish ... a deserved ending.

Now this won't be for everyone and I'm certainly no expert in the genre but if you're a little apprehensive about the content ... breathe easy, or easier. Whilst there's mention of some extreme BDSM, the extreme doesn't eventuate. Bondage and spanking are mixed in with your garden variety 'vanilla' but if the mention of "anal beads or butt plugs" has you running for the hills then feel free to thank me for the warning.

My inner goddess is not embarrassed to admit she loved Fifty Shades, in fact was addicted to it, craves more and is a little bereft that the Christian/Ana journey is over. However I have a feeling my attention-less, housework-less, meal-less family will appreciate my return.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty Shades Freed.

05/29/2012 page 25
5.0% "What am I gonna read when the Fifty Shades journey is done :("
show 2 hidden updates…