Meredith's Reviews > Things I Wish My Mother Had Told Me: Lessons In Grace And Elegance

Things I Wish My Mother Had Told Me by Lucia Van Der Post

May 29, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: lifestyle-personal-finance
Read in May, 2012

I so wanted this to be great, but it wasn't. This book would be really helpful IF you move into London with lots of money and want to know the best facialists, wardrobe advisers, personal laundry and clothing storage services, makeup artists, antique shops, etc etc.

Most of us would consider anyone who can afford the suggestions in this book as fairly well off. Anyone who can promise to take all five grandsons to Africa for their tenth birthday is beyond just well off, despite her protestations of not being rich. And who can afford to (this is under gift suggestions for the person who has everthing)spend £4,500 to give someone a "special day out".....private jet to Venice, dinner, concert, etc.

Despite this vast income gap, I didn't feel that Lucia was a condescending snob, and I think that meeting Lucia in person would be a pleasant experience. But this book does definitely not contain things I wish my mother had told me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Things I Wish My Mother Had Told Me.