Sam Woodfield's Reviews > The Other Half of Me

The Other Half of Me by Morgan McCarthy

F_50x66
May 29, 12

Read on May 29, 2012

I have recently reviewed this novel for a major UK bookseller.
Reading this novel, you would never realise that it was written by a debut author as it is so accomplished- you would think McCarthy had been writting novels for years.
'The Other Half Of Me' follows Jonathan as he journeys through his life in an affluent well-known family. His sister, Theo, journeys with him as they interact with those who enter their lives - their unloving mother Alicia, their hugely successful Grandmother Eve, and childhood friends Nick and Maria.
This novel is a journey of discovery as the characters learn the ways of the world - who to trust, who to love and where to place their suspicions - but is a journey full of loss and sorrow. This journey leads them into the world of family history which uncover some family secrets and has some tragic consequences.
In this novel, McCarthy creates some beautiful characters who draw you into their world. Theo in particular is really sweet and endearing, but has her moments when you just despair. The novel is told from Jonathans perspective and he is another charcter who I became really attached to and really wanted something positive to happen to him. Quite rightly, I never really warmed to either Alicia or Eve and McCarthy created a great contrast between these two and the other characters she has created.
Overall this was a really lovely novel which had me hooked from the outset and gave me a feeling of sadness throughout, something not many novels achieve and which acts as a sign of how brilliant this novel is. I look forward to reading McCarthys next novel so see if she can continue the excellence that she has started.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Half of Me.