Outi's Reviews > How to Be a Woman

How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran

Jun 11, 12

bookshelves: european, feminism, memoirs, non-fiction, read-in-2012
Read from May 29 to June 10, 2012

Part memoir, part rant, isn't it exactly what it promised to be? I don't understand the way some people critisize Moran for not being cutting edge feminist and more serious.

I enjoyed the parts about cultural beauty ideals the most, the fat issue, expensive handbags, brazilians and all that even though I didn't agree with her at times. The feminist parts of the book offered not much new but I did enjoy how she pondered and thought about the facts like the one that there used to be no female rock stars and the great achievements in history were always men's.

The only part of the book I didn't enjoy was the chapter about rolemodels. The case of Lady Gaga was just way too.. idolly. Moran tells us about how she loves Gaga and how they hang out in Berlin together and all that. It lacks a lot of objectivity in a wrong way.

All in all, I think the book would be perfect for some girl or woman who is a raging anti-feminist because "I love men, we already have equality, I don't want to have to contribute to the society as much as my husband whose name I of course took when we had the big, white, romantic wedding".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Be a Woman.

05/29/2012 page 41