Sophie's Reviews > Flat-Out Love

Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park

So...a friend gave me this book, and I now feel inclined to read it. I've heard about Park's less than kind remarks about reviewers, but after the other incident, she seems like a freaking kitten compared to her other buddies. For now, it shall be in my TBR pile.

Edit: Fucking hell, I liked this book.

There is no denying that Flat-Out Love is a very well-done book. That despite Jessica Park's little team-up with Jamie McGuire, this book will make you feel. Even though she's not acting cordially through her her support of McGuire in attacks against reviewers, I do not regret reading this book. Although the behavior of an author does make my opinion of him/her fall considerably, it doesn't stop me from reading a book that promises to be good.

The revelation at the end was mind-blowing. I had no idea it was coming until a couple pages before. Park duped me, and I feel simultaneously gratified and offended.

The cast of characters...God, I loved the characters in this book. Celeste, Matt, Erin, Finn...Ha. The dialogue was quick and witty, and I couldn't put the book down. I read it, in fact, for 5 straight hours. It's beautiful. This messed up, dysfunctional family, was beautiful. Julie was plenty amazing, too, with the way she deals with the situation and her attempts to help. Even though it was hard to like her at first for her rejection of the quirks of the Watkins family, her behavior towards Celeste and Flat Finn was enough to redeem her in the end.

I need to reread all of the messages with Finn after this. Damn it, that was brilliant.

I decided to be diplomatic and rate it a fair 3 stars, because even though I gave my honest opinion in this review, I still can't completely forget Park's past behavior.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flat-Out Love.

06/25/2012 page 30
8.0% "I don't want to like this book, but I doooo. The guilt is plaguing me and making me feel slightly nauseous. Or maybe it's just that I've been reading off my laptop for the entire day."
06/26/2012 page 250
63.0% "Finn had better come back soon, or else I will blow."
06/26/2012 page 320
80.0% "OH MY GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH HER? WHY WHY WHY?!?!?!??"
06/26/2012 page 340
85.0% "Dear lord. I'm starting to see that sneaky love interest Park has engineered into this book. Which is both brilliant and infuriating."