Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways's Reviews > The Sisters Brothers

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

3920693
Apr 30, 13

Read in May, 2012

This ho-hum review of a ho-hum book got tricked up a bit and stuffed in a corner at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud.

Oh, and if for some odd reason you have an opinion about my moving reviews off Goodreads, do feel free to keep it to yourself.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sisters Brothers.

Comments (showing 1-13)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 13: by Arun (new) - rated it 2 stars

Arun Divakar The climax really made me wish I hadn't invested so much time on the book !

message 12: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Keeten I thought deWitt's first book was so-so, but I'm a sucker for westerns especially with this great cover art. Oh well, dash it all.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Arun wrote: "The climax really made me wish I hadn't invested so much time on the book !"

I read it in about 4hrs. If it had taken me longer, like if it had been a McCarthy STYLEfest, I'd still be railing angrily. I like DeWitt's storytelling. I wasn't sold on the story. But, in the end, a nice way to spend some time.

That scene in the camp, which is the one I think you're referring to, where Charlie's life changes, is a complete letdown, IMHO.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Jeffrey wrote: "I thought deWitt's first book was so-so, but I'm a sucker for westerns especially with this great cover art. Oh well, dash it all."

If you haven't read it, take it to the beach and enjoy it there.

Lawrence Coates Anachronisms... the word "epiphany" was a real clunker!

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways I was more horrified by Eli's attitude towards the woman in Thingummyville's TB.

But in the end, I just didn't care enough about the book to take real exception to anything.

message 7: by Brad (new) - added it

Brad God yes. Nabokov is too much work, but such glorious work when I can force myself to indulge.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Ain't that the gawd's honest truth!

Eric No opinion about your moving your reviews off Goodreads, just curious as to why, if you don't mind my asking.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Because Amazon has, in the past, taken comments I made in a review of a Kindle original and excerpted them to make it sound like I liked something I was lukewarm about.

It's their privilege, by their ToS. I wasn't told, found out accidentally, and now only post reviews on their site now if *specifically*asked* to by the author or publisher.

If, and this is unknown, Amazon starts using GR reviews the same way, I want not to be in the pool. I'm now using the Creative Commons license prohibiting commercial use of my stuff.

A snarky comment I've seen, though not had said to me directly, is "why would they want *your* stuff?" Because a) they're good and 2) I'm consistently in the top ten reviewers in the USA.

Eric Fair points. As someone that frequently reviews things on here, I am also curious what the Amazon takeover of Goodreads will mean. Hopefully, nothing -- but I realize that is an optimistic hope.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways I have no faith in the power of positive thinking against greed.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Israel wrote: "Richard, just start writing lacking, short and vague reviews. I teach a class on it. I had no idea Amazon bought Goodreads. Here we go!"

Heh...