Fabian's Reviews > The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

May 05, 2016

liked it
Recommended for: anyone with 3-4 hrs to spare--doesn't care much for tv
Read in September, 2008

I read about Africa and I quickly want to be transported there. I want a more simple life...

The heart of this novel is its feminist protagonist, Mma Ramotswe who lives in a precious town in Gaborone, still untouched by technology or South African cosmopolitanism. This book is extremely feminist, in a very good, positive and enlightening way, as it is anti-colonialist.

But to counter this notion there is a heartwarming case that Mma Ramotswe, the number one (and sole) female detective in Botswana, must face that is not as uncomplicated as gathering evidence on cheating husbands, insurance fraud, double identities, etc. It is the story of an African child, ripped away from his humble family and kidnapped by an African witch doctor. It compels the reader to subscribe to the belief that there must be a balance somewhere to both modernity and rural simplicity.

The book is written using concise, minimalistic verbs. It has the charm of "Amelie" and reads like a Roald Dahl novel.
12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.

05/05 marked as: read

message 1: by Terri (new)

Terri Hi,
I read this too and liked it. Its kind of an old fashioned book.
I read 2 books you might like. Both are very quick reads, but the topics are pretty serious.

"Hurry Down Sunshine" by Michael Greenberg. His bipolar daughter has a psychotic episode. You'll love Sally.
"An Exact Replica of a Figment of my Imagination" by Elizabeth McCracken. She has s still born baby.

Also, did you know that David Foster Wallace killed himself? I never read any of his stuff-but he was huge in the 90's. Have you read him?