Jen's Reviews > The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing by Jill Shalvis

May 29, 12

bookshelves: yawn-snore

So I didn't read the first book in this series but I'd read somewhere that TST could work as a stand alone so I didn't think it would be a problem. Nope. The book jumps right into (seriously, page FIVE) Ford sexily swaggering towards Tara all predatory and junk: "I'm comin' for you girl!"
Me: Wait, who are these people again?
Tara's body reacts, of course, but then just in case you didn't get how hot this guy is, "Half of the people in Lucky Harbor were in love with him." Lucky Harbor, indeed. As in everyone is harboring the not so secret desire to get lucky with this guy. Ba-dum-chhhh.
But - and stop me if you saw this one coming- not Tara. Nope. Not her. He got on her last nerve, bless his heart sugar ya'll more southern vernacular. Why won't the hottest guy on the planet just leave her alone already? The book hints that they've got a whopper of a history together and bless their hearts, it's pretty standard fare and not at all surprising.
Anyway, back to how hot Ford is. Also standard fare: Six foot three, muscles, sinew, some bone and tissue thrown in there too, sun-kissed, confident. Why don't I like Ford, you ask? Dude's a douche. He delivers Tara a package (right?) wearing nothing but a pair of (low-slung, natch) shorts and tennis shoes. And then when the women all start crying out in ecstasy, he's basically like: "What, this old thing?"
ENOUGH.
I did like the sister scenes and even some of those involving the newly turned up daughter (i.e The Whopper) previously given up for adoption but found it a little offensive that she pretty much instantly started calling them Mom and Dad. "I'm sorry people that actually raised me, watching my bio parents grope each other in front of me made me realize how much I was missing!"
1 1/2 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetest Thing.