Beth Ann's Reviews > Girl With a Pearl Earring

Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

F 50x66
Sep 25, 08

read count: 1

Fantastic novel which mixes historical fact with fiction! I just love the way the author uses a painting we all know to create an intricate mostly fictional story - kind of revealing the girl 'behind the earring' so to speak. I love the way the majority of the book was all in the girl's head - the reader really got to know her, got to see her perspective on everything from home life to work life. I really sympathized with her. Women during that time of history had it so hard - and a lot of those hardships were spelled out in this book. The book also has a sensual undertone to it - the author was able to convey dripping sensuality even though the characters barely touch each other - the way it was written said more than most sex scenes in romance novels! I fear every time I look at a famous painting I will now try to come up with a ridiculously romantic story behind it!!!! At the end of the book, I just kind of sat back and thought hard about how far women have come - and I decided how happy I was to be born in the here and now!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl With a Pearl Earring.