Brooke's Reviews > A Study in Scarlet

A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012, mystery
Read from May 28 to June 07, 2012

The Sherlocky parts of this book get 4 stars, I really have no complaints about them. However, there are 30 pages about evil murderous Mormons that just ground the entire story to a halt. It felt like a bait and switch - I thought I was getting one story, but there was another one stuck in the middle that went on and on and on and took days to get through. I'm kind of shocked to realize it only took up about 30% of the book, because it put me to sleep early at least three nights in a row.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Study in Scarlet.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly  Maybedog I don't understand. I thought I read this book. There's a big expose about Mormons in the middle? Where does Sherlock fit in? That's so bizarre. I have to read it now.

message 2: by Brooke (last edited Jun 10, 2012 06:43AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Brooke The first 50 pages were what I expected from Sherlock, and then 30 pages are a flashback to (view spoiler)

message 3: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly  Maybedog Interesting. I want to read it now as I recently read a lot about that period in Mormon history. It's both fascinating and disturbing. It would've interesting to see how Mormons were perceived by Brits at that time.