Amanda's Reviews > Leviathan

May 28, 12

bookshelves: alternate-history, steampunk, read-in-2012, fantasy, ya
Recommended to Amanda by: Riegele
Read in May, 2012

3.75? Rounding up because of my huge crush on Deryn.

Keith Thompson's illustrations are fantastic. I don't care if I have to borrow money, I want to own Manual of Aeronautics when it comes out.

Leviathan is really good YA; maybe a bit clunky at times because it has to introduce the main characters and set up the background, but very, very promising and generally awesome in a twee way. And maybe it doesn't have as much depth and detail as, say, Temeraire, but I understand that it's YA and it's lighter and it has pictures (!!!) to help the reader along. I mean, even though it doesn't exactly hit all my sweet spots, it hits all my weak ones: steampunk/biopunk/WW1 AU with crossdressing females, runaway royalty, classy lady scientists (this one has a pet thylacine, so bonus points), bb animals, airships and war machines, swords, ETC. What's not to like? All it needs is dragons and I'm set.

At this point, I just want Deryn and Alek to be bros, but I won't be surprised if I end up shipping them super hard. It should get easier after book 1.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leviathan.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by TC (new) - rated it 4 stars

TC This is an amazing world. I am really liking it so far!

Amanda Tara-Chan wrote: "This is an amazing world. I am really liking it so far!"
When you're done with everything, don't forget to read the fanfic Scott Westerfeld wrote post-series. XD