Barbarac's Reviews > All Things Must Fight to Live: Stories of War and Deliverance in Congo

All Things Must Fight to Live by Bryan Mealer

Jun 11, 12

bookshelves: africa, around-the-world, couldn-t-finish
Read from May 28 to June 11, 2012

This book was a great account of the horrors in happening in Congo (DRC) in the 90s and early 00s, of which most westerners never even heard. I appreciate Bryan Mealer's account, and while I really wanted to like it and initially loved, after a while made for a dry book. I don't know if it was all the violence, or the large amount of characters, or the political talk, or maybe all three, but after a few chapters I was numbed by it all. I would have probably had a better time if this was a series of short-stories, but I tried reading it front to back and I couldn't take it all.
Too bad, because half-way through the book is what would have probably been my favorite story, of the reporter taking some time to travel the Congo river by boat. It read more like a story than a newspaper article, and therefore I enjoyed it a lot.
But I do have to say that learning about this author has made me curious about another one of his books, The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope, and I will check it out.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Things Must Fight to Live.

05/30/2012 page 50
17.0% "I admit i don't know much about the history of Congo so i am really enjoying this book. At the same time I'm horrified at the stories this book describes, so it's hard to get back into it every time i take a break."
04/18/2014 marked as: read