Siobian's Reviews > The Secret Keeper: A Novel of Kateryn Parr

1362023
Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, read-in-2012, review-copy, series
Read in June, 2012

Juliana St. John is from a well-to-do family in Marlborough and thinks that she is set to marry a local boy and become mistress of a household. However, her fate changes when one day Sir Thomas Seymour, paramour of Kateryn Parr, hears Juliana reading in church and asks for her to become a member of Lady Parr's household. Juliana becomes caught up in the glitter of the court life, even finding a man she might be falling in love with, but soon King Henry VIII sets his sights on Kateryn Parr and no one is sure how things would turn out should she become Henry's next wife.

I love anything Tudor and have read novel after novel about Henry's first and second wives, even a couple about Katherine Howard, but I have never read anything with Kate Parr as the focus. Though this novel centered around Juliana as a narrator, the reader gets to know all about Kate and I loved every minute of it. I fell in love with all of the characters and author Sandra Byrd is able to portray all of their emotions so well. When the king first began to make eyes at Kate, even though I knew what would happen, I still felt a little kernel of dread and found myself hoping she would marry Thomas Seymour instead (though we all know how that ended up.) I truly couldn't put this book down because I loved the setting, the characters, and just the overall sense of the novel. I highly recommend it to any one who loves the Tudors or is interested in getting to know Henry's last wife.

*Please note, I received a copy of this novel from the publisher, as part of a blog tour, in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Keeper.