Teresa's Reviews > Okay for Now

Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt

Jun 09, 12

bookshelves: children-s-lit, fiction
Read in June, 2012

I admit to reading very few books that aren't SF/fantasy or non-fiction these days, but this book was recommended by John Rea-Hedrick and Andrew Harwell at the IN-SCBWI conference so I was intrigued enough to read it.

My second confession (not really a confession since those of you who read my reviews or blog posts already know this) is that I'm a lousy reviewer. Really lousy. Julie F and Velma...my friends here on GoodReads...do incredible reviews. So, if you want a good review, ask one of them to read this book and then write a review.

Me, all I have to say is: WOW. I put a period there when, really, it needed a half a dozen exclamation marks, but I'm trying to give those up for Writer's Lent.

It took me a little while to get used to the voice of the novel, but once I did, I couldn't put it down each night when I had a bit of time to read. Without giving away anything, let's just say that this book is about redemption and finding trust in others and believing that the world is not out to screw you over (too often).

The best line in the book, for me, was when the kid says, "Why can't poets just say what they want to say and then shut up?"

The only thing I hated about the book was that it made me bawl my head off. It's annoying when books move me so much that they make me cry. ;}
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Okay for Now.