Maria's Reviews > The Song of Achilles

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

May 29, 12

bookshelves: ancient-rome-greece, epic, m-m, history-legend
Read in May, 2012

I bought this book at the train station in Sheffield, England. It was in the top recommended books and I was awestruck when I realized it was a retelling of Achilles's story (yes, Achilles the hero of the Illiad)... not only his story, but also his beloved Patroclus's. So what was a slash book doing in the top recommended reads!? I wanted to know, since I am a huge fan of slash fiction AND Greek mythology. Soon I understood. This book has had me hooked for a day and a half; I couldn't stop reading. The prose is beautiful yet easy to read, the characterization lovely (you have to love those two and their growing relationship), the turn of events interesting. It's seized my heart and broken it in the sweetest way (come on guys, you DO know what happens in the Illiad... right?). I gave it 5 stars maybe not for its literary quality (although it is high enough) but because of the utter enjoyment I felt when reading. A book that makes you wish it would never end is a 5-star book, isn't it? Everyone, both fans of slash fiction and more mainstream fiction readers, should read this! And if you happen to like Greek gods and heroes, lyres and blond divine-looking young men... this is for you.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Song of Achilles.

Ashley I've already ordered this book and plan to delve into it as soon as I recieve it! I love anything to do with Achilles, and have yet to read a good book that deals with his relationship with Patroclus. I'm excited hon :]

Maria I am glad you are, you will not be disappointed! hehe

Trish I don't at all agree with you, but your enthusiasm needs to be applauded. I do happen to like Greek gods , lyres, and divine-looking young men and since I haven't finished yet, I really shouldn't say what I think. Just trolling to see what others thought of this since I am haivng trouble getting past their "crazy love".

Maria Well, I am not the best book reviewer, especially when I enjoy reading it so much but cannot explain why. But everyone has different opinions... I hope you dont dislike it so much as you read on..l.

Trish Don't be embarrassed about your reviewing skills. I hope I didn't do that. If I did, it wasn't intended. It's just that the book took me by suprise, and I looked back to see why I thought it must be a very special book, and I come across these reviews, yours coming them, numerous and completely captivated, and I think I must read on...and it does get better, though I think now that this book could not have been done without the movie "Troy". Perhaps the two forms needed each other for each to be perceived as great art.