Rose's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

May 28, 12

Read on May 28, 2012

To appreciate the story trying to be told in this book I had to get off my high horse for a bit. Yes, I found Hannah, the girl whose suicide is the theme this story revolves around, to be a big idiot for having done what she did to herself. Yes, I found her 13 reasons why to be nowhere near devastating enough to warrant giving up on life over. That being said I can't be so arrogant as to think every kid in school is self aware & intelligent & emotionally mature & able to see the big picture. It's easy to scoff at the silly goings on that kids have going on at school, but think back for a second. Weren't there things you did or wore or thought when you were 13 or 14 that you cringe at now & can't believe happened? I can & I was a smart kid, yet I remember all too well certain things being so important then & feeling like some things were the end of my little world & now laughing hysterically at how silly it all was. If any young kids read this book & it makes them think twice about how they treat their peers at school, then this book did something worthwhile. If it makes even one kid think twice about how much people would miss if they were gone, then this book is priceless & important. We can't forget how easily influenced kids & teens can be, so even if it sounds cheesy, this book can influence young readers who might need it & thus I think it would be a good book for them to read & discuss with someone.
2 likes · Likeflag