Leanne's Reviews > Just a Geek: Unflinchingly honest tales of the search for life, love, and fulfillment beyond the Starship Enterprise

Just a Geek by Wil Wheaton

May 28, 12

bookshelves: autobiographies-memoirs, american, non-fiction
Read in May, 2012

Just A Geek was a surprisingly interesting and personal memoir of a former child star and current geek. Normally, like other reviewers, I find autobiographies and memoirs to be self indulgent, but this was different. Wil Wheaton can actually write, and I cared about him as a reader. More than once, I was genuinely angry for him. That being said, I think he reprinted a little too much of his blog, and some of it ended up being repeated a few times in the non-blog portion. He stated in the beginning of the book that much of it would be made up of WWdN blog posts, but some things were covered in a very similar manner too often. Also, while I did care about Wil's struggles as an actor, I do think I would have enjoyed the book more if the struggles were contrasted with a few happier moments than are captured here. Wil seems like a cool guy, and you hate to see him get kicked around all the time.

The story is mostly about the struggles of an actor, how he confronted and accepted his past, and made the transformation into a writer. Throughout, he remains...wait for it...just a geek. All in all, it's a pretty good read, and you're left really satisfied.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just a Geek.