mark monday's Reviews > The Amateur

Mar 28, 15

bookshelves: unread-forever
Read in April, 1915

Photobucket

to the book, not Obama. if that isn't obvious.
27 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amateur.

09/20/2013 marked as: unread
10/03/2013 marked as: unread-forever

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways ...the GIF made me queasy...

message 2: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday the author makes me queasy. i just discovered him, and i wish i could un-discover him. looking at the books he's written, it makes me wonder how he sleeps at night. well, he's probably a zombie, so there's no need to sleep.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Mark! He's published by REGNERY! This should alert you instantly that, whatever you do, you should NOT PICK THE BOOK UP.

You'll get crematorium dust on your hands from interacting with these Final Solutioneers.

message 4: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday i'm not familiar with that publisher. i shall have to do some investigative research!

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Keep a sick-bag near you at all times.

message 6: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday i am... stunned. all those PIG books are so... well, i don't even know what to say. i think i just broke out into full-body hives.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways mark wrote: "i am... stunned. all those PIG books are so... well, i don't even know what to say. i think i just broke out into full-body hives."

This is the normal person's response to encountering the Regnery catalog for the first time. Two Benadryl washed down with a 750 of Montrachet, you'll be fine when you come to. I mean, wake up.

message 8: by Judith (new)

Judith Regnery=Vomit inducing

"You better run, you better hide"

Head for the nearest fifth of Jack Daniels...and thank god you have friends such as we/us/WTF

i need a drink...

message 9: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday so many things to un-see. forget, forget! back to happy bubble of sf! a person can literally live here 18 years and never have heard of Regnery. until today!

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways mark wrote: "so many things to un-see. forget, forget! back to happy bubble of sf! a person can literally live here 18 years and never have heard of Regnery. until today!"

Black Monday indeed.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Typical liberal "F U's" and other immature garbage- I bet your mommy & daddy still pay all your your bills as well as your college tuition. Or maybe you are an occutard? Anyway, when you actually mature, start to pay your own bills and thus grow into an adult, you will become more of the conservative mindset. Trust me, I did!

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Cathi wrote: "Typical liberal "F U's" and other immature garbage- I bet your mommy & daddy still pay all your your bills as well as your college tuition. Or maybe you are an occutard? Anyway, when you actually..."

The bad nose job must've caused bone fragments to hit your intelligence centers, wherever they used to be. Use less peroxide, too, since the fumes seem to be affecting your ability to think rationally.

message 13: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday but Richard, she's flashing her Party Hearty Peace Sign! surely that's a sign of high intelligence.

message 14: by Kemper (last edited May 29, 2012 05:59PM) (new)

Kemper Wait, I'm confused. I've been paying my own bills for 20+ years. Was I supposed to start being a moron when that happened? Nobody told me....

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Kemper wrote: "Wait, I'm confused. I've been paying my own bills for 20+ years. Was I supposed to start being a moron when that happened? Nobody told me...."

It was in your "Midwestern Survival Kit." Don't tell me you lost it...!

message 16: by mark (last edited May 31, 2012 07:54PM) (new) - added it

mark monday Kemper, apparently we are all morons for letting The Depraved Monster Obama be our president. Cath"i" is leading the revolution!

message 17: by Carol. (new)

Carol. I had to google "occutard," because apparently paying my own bills and helping support my parents isn't broadening my vocabulary. Isn't that just like uptight conservatives to resent people feeling secure enough to speak out about ideals?

I think she joined only to support this book. Yuck. I need to go take an anti-conservative shower.

message 18: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday it is really frustrating! i count many conservatives amongst my oldest friends (high school in orange county and all) so i know that not being a jackass & conservatism are not mutually exclusive. and yet here Cath"i" is, conveying the worst traits of the far-far-far-right. it sucks that repulsive idiots have taken over so much of the conservative wing - nearly all of my republican friends (and their even more conservative parents!) now refuse to associate themselves with the party as it stands today.

i posted another fuck-you gif as a response to Cath"i", along with a few choice words. but i deleted that post today (along with a couple other posts, including one from Richard, so that the thread didn't seem like a bizarre series of non sequitors) because i found another use for that gif. seemed like such a waste to use a perfectly good image on the like of non-entities like Cath"i".

message 19: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday oops, forgot that the whole point of the above was to say that i had also posted about my need to look up what "occutard" even meant! learn something new everyday i guess.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

"The basic and crucial political issue of our age is: capitalism versus socialism, or freedom versus statism. For decades, this issue has been silenced, suppressed, evaded, and hidden under the foggy, undefined rubber-terms of 'conservatism' and 'liberalism' which had lost their original meaning and could be stretched to mean all things to all men." Ayn Rand

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Cathi wrote: ""The basic and crucial political issue of our age is: capitalism versus socialism, or freedom versus statism. For decades, this issue has been silenced, suppressed, evaded, and hidden under the fog..."

Rand's version of Nietzsche's Ubermensch white supremism does not lead to freedom. It leads to Soviet-style, Nazi-esque statism. But have fun with that! I guarantee you won't be in the ruling class, so I don't much care what happens to you.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Mark,
It's so easy to hide behind your keyboard, be a tough guy and abuse a woman metaphorically. You obviously aren't getting any- it's pretty evident by all your middle fingers everywhere, must be the size of your...
Lastly, since all of you are unattractive and can't post your pic, I just decided to put a painting by my daughter so you can all feel better.
At least I was brave enough to post my real photo!
Peace Out!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

When it comes to justifying actions, every human being acquires the intelligence of an Einstein, the imagination of a Shakespeare, and the subtlety of a Jesuit.” - Michael Foley

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Richard wrote: "Cathi wrote: ""The basic and crucial political issue of our age is: capitalism versus socialism, or freedom versus statism. For decades, this issue has been silenced, suppressed, evaded, and hidden..."

Yeah Ricky, You're another tough guy behind your keyboard, picking on a woman. And I don't much care what happens to you, LOSER!

message 25: by Carol. (last edited Jun 01, 2012 09:11AM) (new)

Carol. Actually, Cathi, Richard and mark don't "pick on women." They pick on stupidity.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Carol wrote: "Actually, Cathi, Richard and mark don't "pick on women." They pick on stupidity."

LOL

Thanks, you woman, you. Now get back to doing woman things!

Like reading, thinking, writing....

message 27: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph Carol wrote: "Actually, Cathi, Richard and mark don't "pick on women." They pick on stupidity."

:-D

message 28: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday Cathi wrote: "Mark,

the charming troll returns to charm us all!

hey Cath"i", you were the person who dropped in on this thread to personally insult me. you have no clue about me, the bills i've paid all by my adult self since high school, supporting myself through college, supporting my sister through college, supporting my parents now. you have no clue whatsoever about me - yet, like a typical crazy person, you jump to conclusions about my supposedly "occutard", non-bill paying status. i suppose these are the typically stupid thoughts that come to you whenever a person disagrees with your point of view. you and your attitude do a grave disservice to all conservatives.

i'm not attacking "a woman", i'm attacking YOU. i'm not attacking you as a woman. you do not represent women with your ridiculous comments. you are representing your own broken mind.

if there were anything in that broken mind of yours, you would also realize that a profile photo is simply a profile photo. there are other photos available on each account. if you truly have a hankering to see what i look like, check out my photos. i'm right there, what i look like, throughout the years. if you decide to take a gander, please imagine each photo holding out a fuck you sign to you as well.

i don't hide behind my keyboard. i am about as open as a person can be, here on Goodreads, and in life. can you say the same?

you also really shouldn't be commenting about "unattractive" - not with the mug you put on display as your previous profile pic. seriously.

and quoting renowned psychopath Ayn Rand is not exactly doing yourself any favors.

message 29: by Ed (last edited Jun 01, 2012 11:19AM) (new)

Ed [Redacted] Good Christ, now we're quoting Rand in an argument? I mean quoting her in support of an argument? The level of discourse in Goodreads has apparently hit a new low.

Also, "Occutard"? Stay classy Cathi.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways mark, did you ever learn what "occutard" means? I have yet to see it in an actual dictionary. If you learned, will you please enlighten ol' papaw over here?

message 31: by Carol. (new)

Carol. I know I'm not mark, but I didn't want your ignorance to be as disabling as mine was, Richard.

Urban dictionary. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define...

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Oh my. Huh. Well, dearie me. I am the world's oldest occutard! I certainly inveigh against the rich enough, and painful joints are the only things preventing me from joining an Occupy protest.

Thanks, Carol.

message 33: by Traveller (last edited Jun 01, 2012 01:41PM) (new)

Traveller Cathi wrote: "Typical liberal "F U's" and other immature garbage- I bet your mommy & daddy still pay all your your bills as well as your college tuition. Or maybe you are an occutard? Anyway, when you actually..."

You have no idea how off the mark you are. Perhaps go to the trouble of getting to know someone first before you attack them. Please.
...and your own pronouncements come across as least as offensive as this admittedly offensive review of an offensive book.

message 34: by Carol. (last edited Jun 01, 2012 12:22PM) (new)

Carol. One of the sincerely great delights of my adult life was watching my non-politicized, sheriff's deputy mother take her lunch breaks from policing the judge's courtroom to go over and protect at the capital last year (Madison, WI--gov. stalker). This was a lady that was irritated at the protesters in the 60's because the problems from tear gas required classes to be cancelled all the time.

So actually, I guess as some people get older, get jobs, and support a family, they get more interested in issues of fairness and justice.

message 35: by Jason (new)

Jason This is fun!

message 36: by Traveller (new)

Traveller Cathi wrote: "Mark,

Mark and Richard both have photos of their real selves, which they alternate with other images from time to time. ...wait, why does this even matter?

It must be fun starting personal attacks on people on websites you have just joined. I bet the internet is a better place because of people like you. Oh.. and you don't seem old enough to have a daughter? My, my...

message 37: by Kristen (new)

Kristen "Thanks, you woman, you. Now get back to doing woman things!"

*dies laughing*

message 38: by seak (new)

seak mark wrote: "it is really frustrating! i count many conservatives amongst my oldest friends (high school in orange county and all) so i know that not being a jackass & conservatism are not mutually exclusive. a..."

I just wanted to thank you, Mark for this comment. We live in a modern world where we have intelligent debate, but resorting to such pettiness just demeans both sides of the argument (and honestly weakens any argument you're attempting to make). Both sides have intelligent people that belong and want different things out of the world. That doesn't automatically mean whoever doesn't believe exactly as you do is an idiot.

message 39: by karen (new)

karen wait- did she just roll up, talk shit, and then play the "don't yell at ladies because we are delicate flowers" card?

that is fucking incredible.

message 40: by Traveller (last edited Jun 01, 2012 01:03PM) (new)

Traveller karen wrote: "wait- did she just roll up, talk shit, and then play the "don't yell at ladies because we are delicate flowers" card?

that is fucking incredible."

Yes, isn't that the most ironic thing...so women get to say whatever they like, and men must just grin and bear it?
Reminds me of the girls at my son's school who bullies boys whom they know are too 'decent' to do anything back.

I'd say if you can't handle the heat, keep out of the fire. If you can't take what you dish out..."off" is the general direction into which you should cruise.

message 41: by Jason (new)

Jason karen wrote: "wait- did she just roll up, talk shit, and then play the "don't yell at ladies because we are delicate flowers" card?"

Yup! And this is my new favorite quote:
"i'm not attacking you as a woman. you do not represent women with your ridiculous comments. you are representing your own broken mind."
—mark monday
I think I'm going to start a "favorite qoutes" list.

message 42: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Seak (Bryce L.) wrote: "Both sides have intelligent people that belong and want different things out of the world. That doesn't automatically mean whoever doesn't believe exactly as you do is an idiot. "

*'us' is classified as anyone who shares your opinion on political, religious, and societal norms. You may be excluded from an 'us' and tossed into a 'them' at any time, without prior knowledge or consent.

**Insults, derision, patronizing behaviour and stereotyping is allowed from an 'us' to a 'them', and is called 'debate'. The same atrocious behaviour from a 'them' to an 'us' is called 'abuse', and should be the basis for all other attacks on characters and opinions.

message 43: by seak (new)

seak Kristen wrote: "You should be ashamed of yourself. People who dare think differently from us* in any way have never been afforded respect in regards to their opinions**. This is a cherished, ancient practice you are spitting upon, and I for one do not want to hear this talk of 'intelligence', 'understanding', and 'difference of opinion' again."

message 44: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Seak (Bryce L.) wrote: "Maybe I should frame this."

I charge for that sort of thing. :D

message 45: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph Seak (Bryce L.) wrote: "There's not a "like" on comments, but that wouldn't even do it justice. :D Maybe I should frame this.
"

^This.

Where is my damn "like" button?!

message 46: by mark (last edited Jun 01, 2012 03:11PM) (new) - added it

mark monday Seak (Bryce L.) wrote: "I just wanted to thank you, Mark for this comment. We live in a modern world where we have intelligent debate ..."

thanks Seak! i hate the kind of generalized bullshit that tries to render a differing opinion as worthless. people should be able to share their opinions without trash talking on a personal level. it's really not that hard. my review is a specific Fuck Off to the author, who has made a career out of personally attacking the personal & political lives of people on the other side of his political perspective. even worse, he is known for not getting his facts straight and for leaving out key bits of information to strengthen his case. if the book were actually reasonable criticism re. Obama that didn't stoop to such trashy irresponsibility, i would have no problem and there would be no review. but it is a lowly personal attack and so only deserves my public scorn.

i may be faaaaaaaar left, but i have no issue with classic conservatism. classic conservative ideals have led to many great things for this country, certainly as much as progressivism has (i also have a streak of libertarianism that is very sympathetic to classic conservative values re. big government). and neither side has a mandate on common decency, which unfortunately is where right vs. left arguments often devolve towards. and, as i've mentioned, i have many friends who are conservative (and family, and - hey - GR friends too), so i know that decency and the ability to have a reasonable discussion is not a trait solely of one side.

as far as my own personal opinions on modern conservatism goes, my issues are solely with rabid Tea Partiers who do not hesitate to hold the entire country hostage to their ideals, and to the evangelical religious right, who are giving people who love God a bad name. i would like to excise them from the conservative side because debate is often impossible with groups like that. then i could happily go back to being an independent and so blithely heap scorn on both democrat & republican alike (not a fan of politicians in general). but with those two groups in such control of the republican party, i have to cast my lot with the often exceedingly problematic democrats as a reaction to all of the crazy nonsense happening on the republican side.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways In the immortal, if paraphrased, words of Shakespeare: "Politics makes strange bedfellows."

(The original line in "The Tempest" isn't as punchy.)

message 48: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday tell me about it! it certainly puts a semi-anarchist with libertarian tendencies like myself in the awkward position of defending mainstream liberalism. which i would normally only slightly sympathize with. i used to say that democrats are too mainstream and not progressive enough for me. but now i defend Obama. sigh.

message 49: by Carol. (new)

Carol. Kristen wrote: ""Thanks, you woman, you. Now get back to doing woman things!"

*dies laughing*"

Ditto.

Off to do my womanly things! (I really don't know what they are. Maybe a gyneocology exam?)

message 50: by Traveller (last edited Jun 01, 2012 03:31PM) (new)

Traveller Yes, i've said it many times before... the problem with America is that you have to choose between the devil and the deep blue sea and usually over seperate issues. I may for instance lean liberal on some matters, but conservative on others, and there just doesn't seem to be happy mix, so there should be yet another party inbetween for the inbetweenies.

I'm mostly liberal, but still, some things...there should be more than just two choices..

« previous 1