Lorna's Reviews > A Breath of Eyre

A Breath of Eyre by Eve Marie Mont

Jun 20, 12

bookshelves: ya
Read from May 28 to June 20, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Really loved this book! As a die-hard Jane Eyre fan, I liked how (at least in her initial trip) the dialogue followed the book almost exactly. But then, on her return trip, it began to change as her own voice inside grew stronger. I liked how the real time events loosely followed the path of Jane. The only thing that kept me from giving it five stars was the "revisionist" (to me) idea that Bertha Rochester was just misunderstood. I know it worked for the plot here to help resolve the situation with Emma and her late mother, but the novel states that the madness began to show itself while still in the West Indies, not because she was cooped up in boring old England away from her family. Yes, we only have Mr. Rochester's word for it, but there is also no indication anywhere that he is lying about that. So I am a little uneasy with the idea of someone reading this before Jane Eyre and then reading it with that idea in mind. Please write faster, Ms. Mont, I can't believe the expected publication date for A Touch of Scarlet is 2013! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Breath of Eyre.