Keith's Reviews > The Great Santini

The Great Santini by Pat Conroy

M_50x66
May 28, 12

Read in April, 2012

Great book in my opinion. It is well written, funny, compelling and unfortunately, very close to reality for many military kids. There is a dominant marine father, a beautiful Southern Belle for a wife and 3 smart-ass kids who are constantly trying to appease their father while trying not to be abused by him, mentally and physically. The writing is superb. You could open to the book to any page and find evidence of the outstanding writing. The plot is time driven over the senior year of our hero, a basketball player in high school, trying to earn a scholarship for college and the approval of his peers. But the book is much more than that. There are so many viewpoints and characters of interest.

Our book club did read this book and the literary experts did not like the book. However they did like the "Tiger's Wife" which was awful. Everyone has their opinion. But I will say anyone who reads this book will read it to the end and won't even realize that they are submerged into Conroy's world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Santini.