Katinki's Reviews > After Eden

May 28, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: angel-books
Read on May 28, 2012

I'll call this one really more like 2.5 stars. It's better than a 2 but not as good as a 3...so yeah, 2.5

What I like:
- The world. I liked the potential here - the demons, the angel hierarchy, the devils, the spiritless, the soulless, etc. It's a pretty nifty idea.
- I also like the conflict presented with Devi (main character) and her brother and how they fit into this particular world. I also like the separate romantic conflict between Devi and Azazel/aka Oz (conflict meaning she's destined to kill him).
- I like Azazel/Oz. He's a nice mix of bad ass and sweet. I'd have liked to have seen more of him / his powers.
- *sometimes* I like Devi. At points, she was a sympathetic lead, but other times... honestly? Kind of weak.
- More below on the negative side, but I like Forneus.
- I like Camael's (Devi's angel guardian) characterization quite a bit. The author has done a fine job showing the difference between the earthbound and the angels. Unlike other "angel" books out there, this one makes the angels less... human. It's an interesting approach.
- Thank you, no love triangle. A+ on that.
- *sometimes* the chemistry between Devi and Oz works. Sometimes, to be frank, it's too far, too fast, to the point it's not believable.

What I don't like:
- For lack of better terms, the lack of story organization is my biggest beef. More than once I found myself shaking my head and thinking that this story couldn't possibly have a solid (or logical) outline. It was disjointed and, really, in places just poorly set up. There's not enough information early enough. There's too much information without prior hints too late. Sometimes it seems like "stuff" just randomly happens. More background on the world and more importantly on the rules of it is needed. And it needs to be laid out in a more orderly fashion. Also, there are segments that really are just not needed at all, plot-wise - i.e. the entire chapter devoted to "padding" James's car.
- The secondaries need a lot of work. I like Forneus, but furthering the point immediately preceding this one, I don't get him. He's not nearly developed enough if he's going to be such an important character in the story. Kim, Devi's best friends is a waste of text. One, she's not important to the story, and two, she's very unlikable.
- The appearance of the villain and the climax itself. No lie, I was going, "HUH? Where did she come from????" And too, how Forneus "saved" her...just no. That wasn't hinted at or alluded to at all. Really, that whole scene made little sense. More background was needed ahead of time. As is, it was just... illogical and too unexpected to be believable in the world.
- As mentioned above, Devi and her chemistry with Oz needs work. At times, it's just... not believable. She's also sometimes just... not really compelling as a lead.

I'll probably read the second book in the series because I've found that often series such as this (first time and self pub'd) improve as they progress. I'm hoping some of the issues resolve. We'll see. Either way, it's a fast read, so not too much time invested.

I can't say I'd recommend it highly or broadly. But if you really like the "angel" YA subgenre, you might give it a shot just to see.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After Eden.