Claudia Margaroli's Reviews > From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

F_50x66
May 28, 12

The book won the Newbery Medal in 1958 and thus is a highly recommended read; being named one of the 100 Best Books for Children in 2005. The novel is about a girl named Claudia who decides to run away from home but doesn’t want to run away from a life of comfort. She runs away, taking her younger brother with her, to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. The book tells of how they set up life in the museum living in the exhibits. Although this book was published over 40 years ago I did not find it to be outdated. This may be perhaps because it is set in such a stagnant place such as a museum of fine art. I enjoyed reading it when I was younger for the obvious reason of sharing a name with the main character but also because I’m from New York and enjoyed recognizing where the characters were. Overall it is a true adventure any child would appreciate but also has some educational draw ins with the characters appreciation of the history and art in their new “home”. This book is a classic I look forward to reading to my future classroom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.