Elle Thornton's Reviews > The Twelfth Child

The Twelfth Child by Bette Lee Crosby

Jun 16, 12

Read on June 16, 2012

The Twelfth Child’s lead character, Abigail Anne Lannigan, captured me from the book’s opening words and kept hold of me to the end. Some of the reasons I like this book so much have to do with the story’s generous animating spirit and the care the author takes to show us the people and events that shape Abigail into the character I've come to know. The details that create a sense of person, time, and place, are carefully etched so that I felt like I was riding a horse on a farm in the Shenandoah Valley back in 1912, drinking champagne in a speakeasy during Prohibition, living in a modest home in Virginia and enjoying a snack from Dunkin Donuts. The author Bette Lee Crosby has done far more than give us a life and a heart to understand and care about: she’s created the wonderful music of a real voice, Abigail’s voice, and given us her thoughts, her delightful language as she thinks about people and situations. Then too in telling Abigail’s story, Crosby takes admirable risks, for instance in the matter of leaps in time from youth to old age as well as changes in point of view from first to third-person narration and back again. The fact is, though, it’s skillful, and it all works. When I finished the book, I realized Abigail has become a friend. I suspect Abigail won’t ever let me go, in fact, and this is a real joy to feel. To me this is the kind of magic only our very best authors can achieve.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Twelfth Child.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Faye Heath Based upon your review, I just downloaded this. Thanks, Elle!

Elle Thornton I'm going to read her other books. I'm very impressed! She's on Goodreads, working now on a Christmas novella.
Anything new in the kitty realm?

Faye Heath My friends go to a cabin in NC every year and had to do something about the kitties. They took the babies to a no-kill shelter and handed them over, complete with meds and a hefty donation. They put out a Have A Heart trap for mama cat and I don't think I heard the outcome of that. I'll have to ask.

I've started reading The Twelfth Child and already I'm captivated. Glad to hear that Bette Lee Crosby is a member of Goodreads.

I was pleased to receive a message from Kevin Kearney, author of River Rising. He is also on Goodreads and wrote to thank me for my review. It's so fun meeting the authors of books I enjoy.

Elle Thornton I follow your reviews so I get them in a digest.

Oh I hope the babies are adopted.

Faye Heath How do you follow someone's reviews? I received a notice that Kevin Keaney was following my reviews. Then I received a note from him.

Coral You can find out about the missing bonds in Previously Loved Treasures now. :)