DianaAitch's Reviews > The Other Half

The Other Half by Sarah Rayner

May 28, 2012

it was ok
Read from May 28 to June 08, 2012

Having read Sarah Rayners "One Moment, One Morning" and thoroughly enjoyed it, I thought I'd give this, an earlier novel, a go.

Sadly I found it a little disappointing, I felt nothing for the characters and couldn't wait to finish it.

It's quite obvious Ms Rayner has improved her writing over the years and I now look forward to reading her newest book "The Two Week Wait"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Half.

06/04/2012 page 153

Sarah Hiya! I think/hope you'll find The Two Week Wait more to your liking - it's much more like One Moment, One Morning than The Other Half, which I wrote 13 years ago. Picador are actually reissuing both this and Getting Even later this year, and I spent a couple of months reworking both for republication, as I could see how to improve them now I am older and (a little) wiser.

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Sarah wrote: "Hiya! I think/hope you'll find The Two Week Wait more to your liking - it's much more like One Moment, One Morning than The Other Half, which I wrote 13 years ago. Picador are actually reissuing bo..."

I have read both one Moment (loved it) and two week ( couldn't put it down) and have now ordered the other half and getting even.....I imagine from these reviews that I will find them different... but if I find them to be worse then it will give me heart because I have always had an ambition to write yet I haven't the confidence to try my 'jottings ' out there because I feel they are not good enough. If I find that the first two published books are not as spell binding ( I hesitate to say the phrase 'up to the standard as the last two' ) then I can learn something from that and hopefully be inspired :) ( I never get past the first four chapters before demons jump on my shoulder shouting " who do you think you are , no one wants to read your writing !" and then I shove them to one side )Even succesful authors have to start somewhere .. which is good to see.

Sarah Hi Brenda, Oh I so understand about demons on your shoulder! I had so many demons on my shoulder writing TTWW I could barely type! Yet I ploughed on and am am now proud of the result, which just goes to show we can work with demons present. If you've ordered The Other Half and Getting Even already that's good to hear, though ideally I'd like readers to wait for my newly edited versions out later this year rather than buy old second hand ones, as I truly believe they are much improved. I cut nearly 20,000 words from each book - they were, I can see now, very overwritten - and go 'inside' my characters more. They're still the same novels in essence, but stronger and more engaging to my mind. Plus I took out some of the obviously dated elements. Still, I do reckon the sex scenes were good in the originals - rereading them I made myself blush! :)

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Sarah wrote: "Hi Brenda, Oh I so understand about demons on your shoulder! I had so many demons on my shoulder writing TTWW I could barely type! Yet I ploughed on and am am now proud of the result, which just go..."

I was thinking that I could read the original two then order and read the reissued versions and see how your editing improves them . It is not often I get to read a real tightening up of a novel after it has been printed .... And by 'not often ' I mean I have never had that opportunity ! Thank you for your tip , I will give working with my demons a try too. Looking forward to reading more of your books :)

Sarah Well that is dedication to the cause, bless you for your enthusiasm! It's very unusual for an author to have the opportunity, as I have, to revisit earlier works for republication. Originally I thought I'd just do the odd 'tweak', taking out references to technology that was very dated, that sort of thing, but once I started re-reading them both (which I'd not done for ten years) I realised I could use my newfound skills (thanks, largely to having terrific editors at Picador who I learned from) to hone them more thoroughly. Plus I have the benefit of hindsight - I'm no longer as 'attached' to my verbeage, so it was much easier to slash and burn. Meanwhile, give working with the demons a try, and let me know how you get on. You might like to do a ritual to shut them up - I'm making this up on the spot by the way but I rather like the idea - you could give them a little slap round the face as they sit on your shoulders and say 'be quiet, I'm writing!' as if they were small childen. I think I shall try that myself as I start on my fifth...