Radek's Reviews > Disappearance Diary

7194303
May 28, 12

bookshelves: comedy, manga, seinen
Read on January 01, 2012, read count: 1

I don't remember exactly when I read this piece by Azuma Hideo, it was by the end of 2011 or at the start of 2012. Despite that I still clearly remember the circumstances. I was depressed by the HW requirements of Diablo 3 and I was searching for something to cheer me up. So with thought "Autobiographic work by the so-called father of lolicon manga?" I picked up this book. If you ever read any work by Mr. Azuma... Don't expect a little naked girls to be in this piece. Shinsou Nikki is about three "disappearances" of Azuma.

I was amazed how realistic, clever, entertaining, depressing yet heart-warming this work actually is. Author has really sympathetic look at the world. He isn't endlessly complaining like somebody else would be. He just lives his life as he wants to live it and that's the beautiful part. And still, I hadn't any feeling that author is sanitizing things.

Artistic part of this book is quite fine. Don't expect something awestrucking but It really fits the overall story. Shinsou Nikki is fun to read. It's not a psychological masterpiece but It manages to stay enjoyable till the end. I wanted it to cheer me up, and guess what... It really cheered me up. It may look like depressing story at first but in fact It's a work that shows how life can be funny, annoying and ironic at the same time.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disappearance Diary.