Ruth's Reviews > The Gods of Gotham

The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye

May 28, 12

bookshelves: crime-historical
Read in May, 2012

c2012: In the words of Michael Connelly "a wonderful book" and that simply is not saying how utterly awesome this book is. Not knowing much about American history, I was surprised at the outspoken criticism of the Catholic faith. I had not realised that the seemingly age old conflict between Protestants and Catholics had emigrated to the New World. This book is a fantastic read - educational, thought-provoking and with such credible and believable characters. I followed each twist and turn of the plot together with the red herrings in step with the "hero". The writing is lyrical, descriptive but not at all overwritten (as the author self deprecatingly points out in the acknowledgement). This book even managed to get me to overlook the fact that the plot involved harm to children..usually an absolute turn off for me. But everything just, well, fitted and there was no gratutious descriptions at all. A brilliant part of the book was the flash language and as mentioned, people in the UK will have no issues with translating it without any effort at all. Highly recommended to the normal crew. FWFTB: copper, brothel, brother, Irish, chaos. FCN: Timothy Wilde ("So it was a good enough face - it didn't cost me money when I needed a tumble, and I've been told my smile is very reluctant, which apparently makes people want to tell you their life histories and then pass you two bits for your patience.", Valentine Wilde (a boyish, dimpled face, dark blond hair with a deep peak at the brow, and pensive bags under his bright green eyes."), Mrs Boehm, Mercy Underhill, George Washington Matsell. "And I think about filling page after page, and how afterward all the things I've ever felt will be clear to me."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gods of Gotham.