Julia's Reviews > The Gift

The Gift by Alison Croggon

May 28, 12

bookshelves: 2012-completed, new-to-me-2012, sci-fi-fantasy
Read in May, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Enjoyable. Enough so that I will go on to read the next one. However, that being said: the author must be a huge Tolkien fan. And, if you are one, and are of the type to be annoyed by extremely overt homage/occasional swiping (of things like names), then you might do best to steer clear.

Seriously: there's the Nameless One, who's the Ultimate Evil Who Followed On the Ultimate Ultimate Evil; there's an elf-like queen in a hidden wood, with a mirror-pool that can be used to see elsewhere and -when; there are black-cloaked, wraith/skeleton-like riders on black horses; there are fables of a war in the past when the elf-like beings allied with humans to banish (but not destroy) the UEWFOtUUL, and of a king who came out of the west and instated an era of light and goodness... etc. There are a few other references - you know, to Atlantis, or, for Susan Cooper fans, a tall tower made of white stone and crystal with lots of gold thrown in for good measure, and the Eridhu show up for people who like Guy Gavriel Kay.

Still and all, it's a good read, and that counts for something.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gift.