Paul Fergus's Reviews > A Feast for Crows

A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin

Aug 13, 2013

it was ok
Read from May 28 to July 10, 2012

After I finished the fourth book in the series, I went back and lowered my ratings for the other books from four stars to two stars. To me two stars is still "okay", just not "excellent".

Now that I've been reading the series a while and had enough time to reflect on the guts of the story a little, I'm finding that the overall series resembles a World Wrestling Federation storyline.

I mean, I love a good wrestling story arc--they're filled with dramatic highs and lows, changes of allegiance to one side or the other, and draw you into the moment screaming at the plot twists.

The thing is, you just can't take it seriously for long. The players are all ultimately in service to the franchise, not their own merits.

Or, to put it more directly--it's all well and good that "anyone can die" in this world, but the corollary "anyone can prosper" must then also be upheld. I see a lot of people dying, but not anyone winning.

And by winning I mean lining an entire lane of the board with hotels. Every time a character starts to gain a little power, I see the author creep in with writer-force and balance the playing board again, sometimes with wires showing like a bad monster movie.

Okay, no one can win until the grand story is done but I have to say I don't think the author can do it for seven books and make me still care. He blew most of his narrative ammunition in the first book and has been miserly holding back with controlled bursts ever since.

Click, click. I'm bored now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Feast for Crows.