Kelly 's Reviews > Fifty Shades Freed

May 28, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction, love-story, series
Read in May, 2012

After finishing the trilogy in four days (yup, I couldn't put them down)I still feel that this series is just another Harlequin romance with more detailed sex. That doesn't mean I didn't like the series, but the low star rating has more to do with the poor quality of the writing than anything else. I can handle simple sentence structure, but there is no excuse for using the same words over and over again in a book of this length. And Christian's entire family smirks in this book, not just him. The author gave Ana and Christian the ability to use a thesaurus (in their emails to one another), so why didn't she?

And talk about over the top - Ana is strong willed but constantly needs saving (or so Christian thinks) - from all the men who fall at her feet to the psycho who tries to kidnap her and does eventually kidnap her sister-in-law (whom Ana saves, of course!). She can shoot a gun, drive a car in a hide speed chase, cook well, banter with the best of them, is beautiful and slim and smart, can run a business, orgasms every time, and can change a hard core dominant (and she's only 25 when the trilogy ends). Let's not forgot that Ana's best friend Kate marries her husband's brother, and Kate's brother and Christian's sister also have a thing going - now isn't that convenient?

But still....I gobbled the books up, so what does that say about me? I need to process these books more, and maybe I will go back and give them three stars. After all, I am considering buying the books (and people who know me know that I don't buy books; I use the library always). I think my reaction to these books is similar to my reaction the summer of my sophomore year in high school when I read nothing but Harlequin romances and the summer I was 33 and read every Jude Deveraux book I could. For more on that, you'll have to read my blog (if you can find it!)

As one of my friends said, these books are a train wreck, but one you can't put down. I liked them despite them being poorly written and too long (yes, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing), and maybe I'm mad at myself for liking them, and that's why I gave the books a 2 star rating. If nothing else, I certainly have written enough about them in these reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty Shades Freed.