Claire's Reviews > Failstate

Failstate by John W. Otte

May 28, 12

bookshelves: christian, fantasy, teen, owned
Read in May, 2012

I was really excited to read Failstate by John W. Otte because 1) it’s about superheroes, 2) it’s about a superhero tv reality show, and 3) the cover looked pretty awesome. “Being a superhero was hard enough. Being one on reality television…Why had I thought this was a good idea?” I loved the reality show concept and the idea of competing for a vigilante license and the VOC (Vigilante Oversight Committee.) Robin, aka Failstate, is a Fantastic character, and Otte really nails the male teen psyche in a way that can be rare in Christian fiction. My favorite character was Pastor Grant, aka P.G., since I’m involved in Youth Ministry myself. Otte is a Pastor by day, perhaps P.G. is a bit autobiographical? Anyway, the twists are good, the sibling rivalry is hilarious, mostly, and the fantasy world-building (while not that different) is still great. Failstate is another great new title from Marcher Lord Press. I really hope there’s a sequel because I’m really not ready for Robin’s story to be done!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Failstate.